Sunday 7 November 2010

Angel - A Poem

What does it take
to be good?
God, says sister
mother never thought
she could be good





good? why be good?
naughty is nice
five men on ice
two daughters
iron in their bones
never ironed
never washed -
         not my hair,
         my children,
         their clothes.


buy new
reset
I'm through
I want to be good


What does it take to be good?
and the answer is...impossible.


not impossible to be
good.
impossible to say how.
the road to hell is
paved with good
intentions.


are they on the road
to hell?


to hell with it, they said
drop the good intentions
let's hurt
let's punish ourselves


and then one day
they were sore
and the punishment hurt
UNFAIR!


but who was the judge?
you were the judge
you condemned yourself
you were on the road to hell
and you started running
and then even if hell hadn't been there
it was created


create the world you want to live in


then can I create heaven?
is it too late?
but I am the one who makes the rules
let me make heaven!


love, love must be good
oh, it feels good
it soothes, it warms
it gives me peace
it washes, it calms
I'm addicted
the more I spread,
the better,
even if I spread it
          over wicked people
          over sore people
          people rotting in their own
                          foul-smelling hell


Sssssh. I am an Angel.